Keep you home warmer and your bills lower!!

Money is tight for many families these days, and I have many moms asking me how to save some money. One of my easiest recommendations is to change your curtains!

Did you know that heat loss through windows and doors can account for up to 50% of your heating bill? Especially true with older homes that are not insulated as well. Sometimes as I sit here on the couch next to the window I can even feel a bit of a draft. But something as simple as hanging thermal curtains makes a world of difference.

There are a few different types and they may have different names when you see them. Thermal, felt backed, insulated, foambacks, window quilts. But all have the same purpose in life: to keep your family warmer and to save you money. Now I must say, sometimes they are not the most attractive curtains on the market, and usually they are backed in white(drives my sister crazy!) But sometimes the necessity has to outweigh the fashion. Here's a pair I just found, and I say pretty trendy!

These types of curtains do tend to cost a bit more than regular panels, but if you find a sale and buy a set you really like, they will last you many, many years. I bought one set when we first built our house, then another for the dining room the following year. I put them up around this time every year and keep them up through spring. Well worth the investment and certainly helps on those quick climbing bills!

Oh, and one more fact about thermal curtains: if your home gets too hot during summer months and you don't have a/c, keep them up then too - they actually cool the house as well. Man what a cool invention:)

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I've been driving for 19 years!

He's not the problem, their list is.