The Cool Mom.


Why is it that moms are only truly appreciated and recognized during the weeks surrounding Mother's Day? Is that the one time of year only that they do laundry, cook for everyone, clean up, taxi, listen, do homework, support, love, hug, encourage? Well obviously not. So today I want to recognize my own mom, she's a heck of a lady. The cool mom.

Mom: Smart, hardworking, funny, pretty, adventurous, empathetic, comforting, supportive, strong. Cool.

Growing up my mom was known as the 'cool mom'. She didn't yell, didn't stick completely to curfews, and was always there for not only us, but any of my friends that needed an extra mom too. Friends in college couldn't wait for my mom to come visit. She'd bring ice cream cone cupcakes then take us to the bar for wings and beer. Yup, told you, the cool mom.

As I got older and moved away from home, I realized even more how much I needed my mom. Then when I had kids of my own it was a whole new story. Any time something would go wrong here, I'd want to just run home and sit with my mom. A few times I can remember going home just for a day of shopping, then crying as I was leaving because I didn't want to leave my mom. She's my rock. The cool mom.

Now as the new year begins, I've learned something new about my mom. I have a new word to describe her. I probably could have used it along the way, but now I know for sure. My mom is inspirational. She has had a rough 2 months or so, and has come out far ahead of the game. I've watched her display every emotion in the book these past few weeks, but they were always followed by happiness and strength. With a strong support system and her determination, she has overcome the obstacle. She has inspired me to be a better person, take better care of myself and my family, and to appreciate life more. The cool mom is a true inspiration. 

If you are grateful for your mom, give her a call or a quick hug. Don't wait until Mother's Day or until it's too late. Appreciate her today, she'll be grateful too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

He's not the problem, their list is.

I've been driving for 19 years!