BC Day 16: My dream house.

Whew, some of these are too big and/or vague for a short blog post. I can start by telling you I love my house. After 8 years since we built it, I now call it a home. I am continually on a quest to fix, tweak, update, and neaten every room, and it is all (slowly) coming together. The outside of the house has transformed beautifully this summer, and by next year at this time, I'm pretty sure all projects will be done!

That all being said, my dream house is not a cape cod style home in a rural development. I instantly think land. Acreage. At least 5 acres. No, 10. And I want the house in the middle, towards the back of the property. Gravel driveway from the main road, paved for the 100 feet or so closest to the house. No shortage of beautiful trees and shrubs around the property. A pond or two large enough for fishing and paddle boats.

The home itself should be a sprawling ranch. When I was younger, I'd say I wanted a big colonial. But as I get older wiser, I realize the importance of looking ahead. Colonials have a ton of stairs. Ugh. A ranch gives that option of living in the home long term, everything you need on one floor of the house. It should be pacific blue, black shutters, black front door. I need a HUGE kitchen, for amazing cooking and wonderful family time. I'd like a family room, living room, a handful of bathrooms, craft room, workshop, office, 4-5 bedrooms. Basement can be finished for a game room and a bar. Wrap around porch, hot tub and/or pool, flat yard for endless running and playing. 

Um, that covers it I think. I don't want a mansion. Some people tend to forget they have to clean what they own as well! I just want comfort. And beauty. And a place to enjoy family. Easy enough, right?

Comments

  1. "I don't want a mansion. Some people tend to forget they have to clean what they own as well! I just want comfort. And beauty. And a place to enjoy family. Easy enough, right?"

    Absolutely agree. Apart from the fact that I want as little of my free time as possible to be taken up with dusting, I don't think I could feel at ease in a massive great mansion. I don't think it would be long before I started feeling like the second Mrs de Winter from Rebecca. Not that I'm ever in danger of finding out how I'd react, the house valuation on even the tiniest mansion would make my bank account scream in terror. Or roll around on the floor laughing.

    There are certain things that I want that are achievable (A huge brick barbecue, a power shower, a dandelion in a pot) certain things that I'll probably never achieve (The house standing on its own little bit of land) but above all, I want the house to feel like home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm kinda curious of what your house looks like, before and after the rooms have been fixed. And your dream house made me realize that I really should start thinking about my future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like you, I'm after the beautiful trees and shrubs too! I don't need massive mansions – I need space. I sense of spaciousness a few acres of ranch gives. If I have one, I'd use the place for planting veggies and building farm rather than building colonial houses. =)

    Darren Lanphere

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I've been driving for 19 years!

He's not the problem, their list is.