My Blankie.

I have a Banana Republic sweater that I absolutely love. It's oversized, overly soft, and comforting. The other day I told someone that it was like my security blanket. But then after thinking about that statement, I realized it isn't. My real security blanket hangs in my closet.

My high school boyfriend worked at the Gap. That was way back when the Gap was considered the 'expensive store' to shop at, but he got a good discount. I got some great clothes that I had for years, and sometimes I'd steal stuff from his closet. One thing in particular was a sweatshirt. A vibrant green, plain ol' sweatshirt. That was 18 years ago.

That sweatshirt was worn all through high school, then came to college with me. During those few years away from home, it was comforting to have something to remember home and friends. When I had finals or stressful projects, I'd chew on the cuffs a bit. If I had a bad day or was sick, I'd go to the dorm, put it on, and crawl into bed. Ahhh.

After college, grad school, and marriage it still stayed with me. In the later years it became my go-to sweatshirt when I had work to do around the house: painting, lawn care, staining etc. It now has many drips and splashes of paint on it.

The collar is completely frayed, the cuffs are gross, and even when I wear it inside out like I like to, it's a bit yucky to look at. But not to me. Now all these years later, my life has changed dramatically, and I still find comfort on a sad, rainy day like today, sitting here in my sweatshirt.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I've been driving for 19 years!

Facebook gets my thumbs up!