My Life in a Song

My 8th graders are definitely starting to get spring fever and cannot wait to be done with school. Unfortunately for them, there's still plenty of work to be done! One thing we need to do is a writing assignment for the fourth quarter.

I thought about it for days, and sat on the internet for hours at a time. How many research papers and stories can you have them write? But then, I found a great assignment! "The Theme Song of Your Life". Students are to choose a song for its lyrics, and tell how the song pertains to their last year at our school. It can show any range of emotions they choose, and they have to choose a line from the song to relate to. How great is that?

After I gave them the assignment they seemed pretty excited to get started. So today they came over to the computer lab to start looking for songs. Then someone finally asked me, "Mrs. Wallace, what would you choose as your song?" Crap. No Clue. I love music more than anything, but it's too hard to pick just one song!

But, I've finally come up with my song choice. I decided to just pick a song that tells about my life right now. Not the whole year, definitely not my whole life, just now. And my choice is funny, because for the last few weeks, whenever things go wrong at home or get too hectic, I intentionally sing the chorus to myself. In the words of Trace Adkins' song "You're Gonna Miss This":

You're gonna miss this/ You're gonna want this back/ You're gonna wish these days/ hadn't gone by so fast/ These Are Some Good Times/ So take a good look around/ You may not know it now/ But you're gonna miss this

Many days jumble into one when your kids are this young, and I hear myself too often saying 'omg, I can't wait until they .......'. Only recently did I start to realize how much I need to appreciate and love every moment, good or bad, because one day I'll look back and miss this.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I've been driving for 19 years!

Facebook gets my thumbs up!