Everyday Etiquette.

I had what we will call a little 'incident' this morning. I told a woman something, and her reaction was hands cupped to mouth, gasps, and teary pity eyes. All I could think was 'man, she could have at least pretended to react better.' It made me think about something a bit unrelated, but I still thought it would make for a good post!

A while back I wrote about 'Annoying People', and this post today has the same underlying tone. Etiquette is something that has been lost on many people. Sometimes you hear the word 'etiquette' and think table manners or something like that, but there's more to it. It's a social norm of behavior that's unwritten. Some people may need some etiquette help. It's not that they are rude(sometimes), it's just that they have no consideration. Or they don't think. Or they don't know better. Whatever the case may be, here's to those who could try a bit harder.

#1. If you're coming in or out of a store, the rule is stay to the right. If I'm coming out, and starting to push on the right door, don't stand there waiting to come in after I 'open the door for you'. There's a handle on that door to your right, grab and use it lazy.

#2. If the line is long and I'm in it with you, don't find that a reason to talk to me. If I don't know you, I don't want to talk to you. (this one might not be etiquette, but still bugs me lol)

#3. Turning? Thinking of turning? Waiting for a parking space? For the love of god, use your blinker. 

#4. If there's a pregnant woman within reach, that does NOT give you free reign to touch, rub, and ask a million questions. Especially the touch part.

#5. Don't scream at your kid in public. Or you, lady I saw the other day, don't pull her hair. I don't want to hear it, and I definitely don't want to have to step in, but I will.

#6. If you pull into a 'handicapped' parking spot, and stick your little sign up on your rearview mirror, your ass best get out of that car looking sickly. Otherwise you are wasting a perfectly good spot for someone that truly needs it. 

#7. Back to driving...the courtesy wave goes a long way...

#8. Guys, if you see a gal struggling with something...carrying bags, lifting a box, HELP HER. Even if you don't plan on getting her number, it sure would be a sweet gesture.

#9. Don't spit on the ground where I or my children may walk. Gross.

#10. My favorite. SAY THANK YOU. Especially if I purchase something at your store. "Thank you! Have a great day!" Not really complicated words, but they go a long way. And don't forget, my buying at your store keeps your job going. So it wouldn't be the worst thing you said all day ;)

I have more but I'll save them for another grumbly day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I've been driving for 19 years!

Facebook gets my thumbs up!