Shall I call you a waa-ambulance?

I am so thankful my kids are not major whiners. Pretty sure I wouldn't be able to handle that. The other day in a shoe store I actually heard a girl(maybe 4 years old) scream at the top of her lungs, "I WANT HEELS, AND I/M NOT LEAVING WITHOUT THEM!" Waaah. How Carrie Bradshaw of her, but also, how freakin' ridiculous. And the best part? Dad was negotiating with her and eventually when I left was in the heel section with her. Kid-1, Dad-0.

When did we become a society of give ins? I used to laugh when people would say 'when I was young...' And thought it was just good storytelling. But now I find myself saying that a lot. When I was young, my parents would have NEVER put up with a whine like that in a store. They would not bargain, they would not negotiate. No was no, and you knew better than to ask again. I knew better for sure. I not only respected my dad, but was terrified of him as well. There was no 'maybe' or 'we'll see', it was a firm 'yes' or 'no'.

Now don't get me wrong readers, I've had my fair share of days being pushed over. But as they've gotten older, I've learned to stand my ground. I am careful with my words when I give them an answer, and most importantly, I do not give in or change my mind. If they cry and pout, they cry and pout. And they do. But hey, they get over it, and we move along. They might not feel better at the end of the day, but I sure do.

The world is definitely not a kind, happy, sunshine-and-rainbows place. And my boys will know that before they grow up with a false sense of reality. I won't shield them from all the pain and hurt, or it would be unbearable for them to navigate through it later on. Someone near and dear tells me that we are raising a generation of pansies. Everybody wins, no one's feelings get hurt, and its all those rainbows and unicorns. Well, my boys will be the ones with the heads on their shoulders, pushing through the whiners, leading, not following.

It might not be something some parents are able to/want to do, but I feel it's part of my job. I'm raising men, not boys. I'll continue to make sure my boys buck up, toughen up, and we will not be hearing those  wambulance sirens coming through our neighborhood.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

He's not the problem, their list is.

I've been driving for 19 years!