Crayon therapy.

When did you stop coloring? I know some of us have little ones running around, so we pick up a crayon here and there, but I mean REALLY coloring. Like outlining the pictures first, getting all those little details color-coordinated and ready for the grand prize coloring. Probably too long ago is your answer. 

Coloring is a wonderful creative outlet for children. Inside/outside the lines, things can be whatever color they choose. But what about the part of it that is so mindless? No thinking required other than color choice. It's a great bonding time for parent/child, sitting and chatting while coloring, admiring each others pictures. All too often we are swiping tablets(or even coloring on them!), and missing out on some of the simple things with our children. Don't you remember opening the brand new box of 64 crayons and hoping they always stayed as sharp and lovely as they were in that moment?

The other day I was waiting for some school stuff to print out, and there was a picture and crayons on my desk. I dumped the crayons out, and started coloring. I got so lost in my little flowers,  and before I knew it I had a complete masterpiece, refrigerator-ready. But better than the picture, was my overall being. I was calm, quiet, stepping away from the hurried work day, and not thinking about anything but my colors. 

What an amazing therapy coloring can be! Try it with or without your kiddies soon. Just focus on the task at hand, and choose your colors. You will be surprised and glad you took the time to step back and smell the colored wax.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

He's not the problem, their list is.

I've been driving for 19 years!