Which Paper?

My friends went through jobs in high school like, well, like it was there job. They would try a new one every few weeks, then move on because they had to work to much, didn't make enough money, didn't like working on weekends, bla bla bla. But I was fortunate enough to get a job in my sophomore year that I kept until I got married. Yup, you read that right, almost 10 years!

Prestige Gifts & China was located on busy Central Ave. in Yonkers, NY. In the early/late 90s, if you were a bride in the tri-state area, you were traveling to Prestige for some goodies. I went in one day when my dad told me I MUST come home with a job, just figuring I'd drop off an application. The girls up front sent me right back to the little office where I talked to the boss, and he hired me on the spot. I started the next day.

Duties of my job really revolved around making the customers happy. I helped them pick out their china, flatware, stemware, register for their big day, and pretty much everything in between. Not only did I have to deal with many brides, but also many mothers-of-the-bride, which are way more difficult to please. I was always shocked most by the amount of money people would spend on such material items, but it kept everyone happy, and I kept my job! Oh, and one of the most important parts of the job that we all loved? Gift wrapping! I could wrap any size and shape package that came along. We had a carosel of paper at the register, and after each transaction it would always be the same question: "Would you like it wrapped? Which paper?"

I worked as many hours as I could during high school, then any time I was home from college I would work. When I went to Grad School and got a big girl job, I just couldn't do both anymore, and sadly left. They only stayed open a few more years, and even though that's sad too, I'm glad I didn't miss too much. I loved that job more than any other job in my life. It wasn't only a nice, fun place to work, it was a second home, a second family. The girls I worked with were awesome. We shared so many hours of our life together, we helped each other through many tough times. I wouldn't trade my memories of Prestige for anything in the world.

So if I come to your house and flip over your dishes or glasses, which I often tend to do, now you know why!

Comments

  1. I really miss Prestige and all the girls, especially around the holidays! It was so much fun!

    Rita

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

He's not the problem, their list is.

I've been driving for 19 years!