Smile, though your heart is aching.

Today marks the twelfth year since an event changed the way I see life. I have very clear memories from this exact time of day, pulling into my parking spot at my school, getting a phone call on my giant old cell phone. I heard what he was telling me, but just wasn't processing it. For everything I believed in at the time, I just could not understand why someone would be taken from the world at our age. He had started flying a straight course and was turning into an amazing man with a big future. All to be snatched in seconds. 

After that moment I had days on end of coming home from work, sitting on the front lawn, and just staring at the lake that was across from our house. I searched for answers that were just not there. I saw lives change and hearts broken. A mother should never have to feel that deep sorrow that never leaves. It is then that I lost my sense of anything greater than us. That of course continued to evolve over the next few years, a story for another time.

Of course there was joy found within the loss. Families and friends getting together after time apart, consoling each other through awesome stories. I can still remember wearing yellow to the funeral, because I was celebrating. I was celebrating a guy that I knew my whole life and loved as a brother. I had the privilege of being part of their family, and the honor of knowing him. And for that I was grateful, and celebrating the life he had. 

All these years later people still tell their stories and everyone smiles for a few minutes. That time when we...., when he decided to...., his laugh, his hugs, his life. It's a day we face with heavy hearts, but as I sit here on my porch in total quiet, I can smile through the tears, thinking of how many lives he touched and how many smiles he is responsible for today. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I've been driving for 19 years!

He's not the problem, their list is.