Thank a teacher in your life.

A few weeks ago, there was a ton of Teacher Appreciation Day/Week stuff going on. They asked kids to vote, write about, talk about teachers they enjoy having. It made me think about the teachers I've had over the years.

I remember an assignment in college to thank a teacher we had. I sadly only thought of one teacher I'd thank.  I wrote a  REALLY long letter to a teacher that fostered my love of math. I NEVER HEARD BACK. I know that might sound selfish to ask for a thank you, or even a glad you are doing well, but it pissed me off. So no, I wouldn't thank her again.

But if I had to do the assignment now, long after college, I'd thank someone that I really should have thanked long ago. He was the first principal that took a chance on me before I was even out of grad school. I'm guessing he was just pretty desperate for a teacher so late in the summer, but I went for the interview, and left with the teacher editions for all the math classes I'd be teaching in a few short weeks. 

During the two years I was in his building, I learned many things from him. He kept teachers on their toes. He did his job to the fullest, and it made me want to do my job better. I remember lots of grumbling about how strict he could be, or how grumpy he was, but I knew better. Hanging out in the office during free periods showed me another side of him, and showed me that he really was just doing what he needed to in order to run a tight ship. And having teachers not slack off because he might peek in your classroom window? Well, I don't really see that as a bad thing.

His observations were actual observations, not just a run through a quick checklist just because it was required. I learned from his input, and implemented things he suggested. Again, while others were grumbling, I took the time to learn.

I know he stops by here from time to time to read, so today I say thank you to you, sir. You left a big impact on me, and the way I teach. I promise if I ever get some kind of huge Oprah/Ellen-like thank you in front of millions, I'll be sure they give you a car too....another Jetta perhaps?? :) :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

He's not the problem, their list is.

I've been driving for 19 years!