Misconception Perception.

I've just gotta tell you about what I saw today, and I'm sure you will all nod your heads and know the type.

A woman in the store, at the checkout. Dressed pretty nice, fancy-ass purse, expensive glasses and shoes, diamonds on both hands. Obviously doing just fine. But then, when it comes time to pay for her groceries, she pulls out her food stamps card. W.T.F. Seriously? You obviously have enough money for the finer things in life, but not enough to feed yourself and/or your family? Is this what our society has become?


I'm sure you've encountered this before. I saw it today. However, I didn't see it from the next spot in the checkout line. I saw it from the inside out. That woman, the woman that obviously is doing just fine and dares to take advantage of money that others need, that's me.

A few months ago I just could not make ends meet. I'm a single mom. I had a part-time job at a school, but summer was upon us. I had no savings, no backup plan, no new job on the horizon. My pride gets the best of me sometimes, but this time was different. I needed help, and didn't know what else to do. I mentioned it to a friend, and she told me to try to get assistance. I was instantly horrified and embarrassed, but did it anyway. I breathed a sigh of relief knowing I'd be able to feed my children. But even though I accepted it, I still hid it. I tried using it in stores where I knew no one. Kept my head down out of shame. Sad with the thought that my life had put me here, in my Uggs, getting free cereal and milk.

Fast forward a few months, and I now have a full-time job. No need for assistance anymore. I am a tax paying moneymaker, and used the funds when I needed them, just as people should. After this experience, there is one great thing I'm able to walk away with. The ability to not judge others.

A few years ago I would have been the first one to bitch and complain about 'that girl' in the checkout line.  But sometimes you just fall, and must ask for help. Taking care of my kids is my number one priority. I'm still learning that I need help to do that. My acceptance of help is a little bit slow to unfold, but I'm well on my way.

As much as I didn't want to share this part of my life with anyone, if I can make even one person aware and a little less quick to judge, I've done what I set out to do. :)

Comments

  1. Very powerful post. When I read the beginning of it, I was going to comment that you don't know what the woman's situation is... thankfully I read to the end before opening my mouth :) Many of us have been in this position and while it's hard to admit that you need help, we all have to do whatever it takes to feed our families.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

He's not the problem, their list is.

I've been driving for 19 years!