To See or Not to See?

If you know me well, you know I don't like going to the movies. At all. Ever. Yes, I take my boys and I sit through the kiddie movies, as it's my duty.  Yesterday was Gnomeo and Juliet. Not the worst, but thank goodness Elton John did all the music, at least it kept me humming throughout. I digress.

I have always felt that sitting through a movie wasted a few hours of my life. Especially as I've gotten older, when as a mom, hours to myself are hard enough to obtain. Then to waste them silently in front of a screen? Ugh.

But then I took myself to a movie last year. I bought one ticket, one popcorn, one soda. And I just soaked it in. Quietly. Alone. I didn't have to do anything, think about anything, talk to anyone. Huh. Maybe I had it all wrong. My logic was backwards. Rather than say I'm wasting my time being quiet and alone, I should have said I'm lucky to have the time to waste being quiet and alone!

Since then I've gone to a few more movies. Actually I've seen more in the last 2 months than I have in the last 5 years. Of course the popcorn is the initial hook to get me to go, but once I'm there I'm content. Calm. Quiet. Popcorn.

Please don't over-read here. I'm still not a huge movie -oving buff. Just saying I tolerate it better now, and have found a different purpose for the time spent in a theater. Thought I'd just share for my other mommy friends looking for a peaceful place to run and hide once in a while :)

Comments

  1. This actually used to be "homework" I would give my clients all the time! I'm not a big fan of going to the movies, either. Maybe I should take my own advice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love going to a movie alone-like you said, it's the best quiet time ever. I know I don't have kids but I definitely need to run away and hide sometimes. It's delightful to escape for a few hours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a task that I committed myself to after my divorce. I wanted to do things "alone" that I had never done before and going to the movies actually worked out really really well. I could go see the chick flicks and cry and not have anyone care except maybe the people behind me that had to hear me blowing my nose. Wish I could find time to do this again.... so jealous!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

He's not the problem, their list is.

I've been driving for 19 years!