Where has my Baby Jesus gone?


Many people look at the photo to the left and see absolutely nothing of importance. Just a half of a walnut with some cotton and thin rope. I look at the photo and see part of my childhood gone, part of who I am sadly missing.


My grandfather has been the most important person in my life. Of course I have a kind husband and great kids, but their importance is different. My grandpa taught me many things about life, love, and everything in between, even if I wasn't really paying attention at the time. Of course because of him I can fry the perfect egg and change my own spark plugs, but I also have a greater understanding of what true love between two people is really like, and how to give unselfishly to my family.

I'm digressing from my walnut. Grandpa loved working with his hands, a trait I undoubtedly received from him. He was a big, burly man, but could work on intricate things as if he had the hands of a thin woman. One thing he made that has brought a smile to my face every holiday season is the infamous walnut Baby Jesus ornaments. Half a walnut, broken just so, cotton bedding for the baby, thin silver rope to hang it from the tree, and a perfect little baby, some with and some without little diapers.

When I put up my first Christmas tree in my own home, a walnut baby was finally handed down to me. I took special care to hang it in the same spot every year, top center, for all to see. It was my favorite minute of the whole season to hang him up and think of grandpa. After the season he'd be put on a shelf in my craft room and relax until the following winter. But today after our tree was up, I went running up to the craft room to grab walnut baby, only to find him missing. I searched high and low and even called my husband crying. All I have left is an empty walnut.

Silly to some I'm sure, but unbearable to me. The symbol of a life of love and happiness with my grandpa, gone. Of course the walnut is hung on the tree, top center, in hopes of my Baby Jesus reappearing somewhere. If he doesn't turn up, I'm not so sure I'll ever be able to look at my Christmas tree the same way again.

Comments

  1. Awwwww. I know it won't be the same, but i can try to make you another one if you like. Maybe Gramps "borrowed it" for a bit. You'll find him. Just ask Gramp to help you. It always works for me! I love this blogging thing your doing! Thank you for sharing. xxxxoooo - Big Sis

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

He's not the problem, their list is.

I've been driving for 19 years!