Tell Me Again Why You Send Them to Catholic School?

I hear this on at least a weekly basis. Yes, it's 25 minutes away from our home. Yes there's a public school about 6 minutes away. Yes, I have one child in each school and bounce around constantly. But if you never went to, or don't have kids in Catholic(or just private) school, then you really just can't understand! Today was a day when I was reminded why.

Sure sure, they learn religion, go to church, come out as lovely, respectful, moral human beings. But they also gain some lifelong friendships, and are part of a large family. I always find in public that there's so many kids and families, you get lost and too often become just a number in the system. In private, all families know each other, the whole school of teachers knows almost every child in the school by name. If a child needs help with a subject or needs some enrichment, it's not ten people's worth of red tape to get through, it just gets done. Have a problem? Just walk into the office and talk to the principal, no waiting a week for a call back or some acknowledgement.

And then there's a day like today. A dad in our school was terribly hurt, and medical bills will probably follow. Quickly a dress-down day was organized for the students. $2 each, all money being donated to the family. The generousity throughout the school was heart-warming. $5s, $10s, $20s, a few $100s, checks. All to help a family in their time of need. To let them know we are thinking of them and wishing them well. All to help a bigger part of our own large family.

Being a parent of a child in public and a child in Catholic helps me to see both sides like not many get a chance to do. If I had my choice, both would be in Catholic, but for now this works. All I know is I'm glad we are part of our Catholic school family and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Comments

  1. Agreed 100%, I am so thankful that I went to Catholic school all throughout! I am still very active in my church and enjoyed every min of my Catholic school days...except maybe when they made us sit in church for like 3 hours...that's tough for a 10 year old kid hehehe :-)

    As always you're keeping it real!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I've been driving for 19 years!

Facebook gets my thumbs up!