A Hooray Moment

There's nothing better than when a child discovers something new and amazing. Those small baby book-worthy moments that you want to treasure forever. As a special needs parent, it sometimes takes longer than expected or hoped for to reach some of the tiny goals. The flip side of that is that you appreciate things you never thought important. I'm thrilled to continue to put things in my son's baby book, and he's almost 4. But it's bittersweet. A big hooray that he accomplished something, but a sad sigh that it took so long.

Anyway, back to why I'm writing today. Yesterday we had one of those hooray moments. Alex is not one for coloring, so other than at school with the O/T he doesn't get too much 'writing' practice. He found a pencil somewhere in his travels and decided to sit down and draw. He made a few amazing circles, and attempted what he said was the letter A! However, my favorite part of the experience, was the moment when I showed him what an eraser was. When you think about it, you don't really think about it. It's an eraser, big deal. Does its job and you move along. But not to my boy! I turned the pencil over, erased a bit of his circle, wiped away the crumbs, and he just stared. And stared. I could hear the 'huh' in his head. He then drew another circle and attempted to erase it! I'll be jotting that one down tonight "2/23/09 - used an eraser!"

The little things in life truly are amazing gifts some days.

Comments

  1. Yay for Alex!!!! :) I know how amazing those moments are! Good for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful!
    Those little moments DO mean so much more. I have 4 children, but it is Owen's moments that I remember and NOTICE.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I've been driving for 19 years!

He's not the problem, their list is.