When Mama Bears Attack..

I'm having a rough go lately, readers. I'm going through a big 'when it rains, it pours' situation with my boys and school. I have always been a vocal involved parent, and I assumed as they got older, it would get easier. Wrong-o! I am in the thick of it now more than ever. And strangely enough, the older grade teachers don't seem used to involved parents, nor do they seem comfortable with it. Well wake up educators, this Mama refuses to back down.
Why has it become such a comfortable norm for teachers to think it's ok to make choices for students without consulting parents? I shouldn't say teachers, I should say people that work in a school building. From secretaries, to guidance counselors, to even the nurses, we have seen a breakdown of home to school communication like I could have never imagined. I GIVE you my children to educate them during the day. I TRUST you to do what's best for them. I EXPECT to be told when there's something off, or something that needs to be changed. 

Sadly, yes, there are many parents that choose not to be involved. And perhaps, it not because they don't want to. It might be because they are uncomfortable chiming in. Or intimidated by snotty teachers. OR, as I know many in my area have said, maybe they've been pushed down/away so many times by the school, that they now have the 'why even bother?' attitude. I tried that last reason at the beginning of this year. WHY BOTHER? They don't listen, they don't care about what you have to say, so why get myself worked up? Well, that lasted about a week for me. I snapped out of it, and remembered IT'S MY JOB AS A PARENT. If I don't act/react/chime in, who is going to ensure my child is getting the best education possible?

Now I know some of you might say 'oh, this doesn't happen in our district', 'my child's teacher isn't like that'. I'm glad to hear that. I'm just speaking from my own, personal experience. As a mother. As a teacher. I'm on both sides of the fence daily. I can say with great certainty that I became a MUCH better teacher once I had my own children.

I want to encourage all parents reading this to SPEAK UP. Yes, those in the school building are trained to do their jobs in the world of education. But you have the right, and the ability, to have a say in every facet of your child's education. Don't let people in the building intimidate you, and don't let others around you deter you from doing what's right for your child. Your student will only be in that building for a handful of years, but you will see the (hopefully) positive marks their educations make on them for many years to come. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I've been driving for 19 years!

Facebook gets my thumbs up!